Shoe Repairer Forum

about a month or so ago I changed the battery in our mazda 3 2010 model it had stopped working its my wife key she does not use it much as she has her own car so changed the battery and it still did not work so I left it was going to put up a post but forgot to today I just thought I would try it and yes it work ok why is this puts me off changing batteries for customers if this is normal

I suppose you have to be careful, you could have a customer saying the remote is not working and can you change the battery and it could be anything really from broken micro switches to key needs reprogramming and also may just need re synchronising the remote to work.

I would sell them battery and instruct them how to replace of if they want you to do it ask them to sign a disclaimer.

You could end up with a customer whos remote doesn't work at all and ask you to swap the battery and they could go away for a short time then come back to you and say it doesn't work no more and trying it on with you, unless you are capable of going out to the car and you know more about the autoside of it.

about a month or so ago I changed the battery in our mazda 3 2010 model it had stopped working its my wife key she does not use it much as she has her own car so changed the battery and it still did not work so I left it was going to put up a post but forgot to today I just thought I would try it and yes it work ok why is this puts me off changing batteries for customers if this is normal

Buy the right equipment i;e battery tester etc - test the remote before you take out old battery, test after you put in new one, also for the keys that come in that you have never seen before (as they are changing frequently) use Youtube as they seem to have tutorials for most things :D

I feel with car remote battery replacement the risk is not worth the reward. You might make £10-15 changing the battery, but are exposing yourself to a possible charge of £200/300 even though you did nothing wrong.

Sorry mikeallen - *ollocks, we have changed literally 'thousands' with NO hassle - well worth doing but you have to do it proper

Hi only thing I would add is always check remote on car first and run through everything with the customer and try and make sure if anything goes wrong you can sort it, that's my rule if I can't fix it I won't touch it, if customer wants to swap it them self just sell them a battery not always worth the extra hassle.

Here's a few I've had, a guy with a cobra remote needed a new case all working just holes in it, said I had a case but wouldn't do the battery as they can be funny to reprogram sometimes or just lose sync, so did the case then it didn't work, customer had the manual for resync process didn't work so I put a new battery now as I had nothing to lose didn't work so resoldered main IC and components and comes back to life.

Mazda remotes have a IC that sometimes disturbed stop working and just need reflow or resolder, other one I try not to repair is Lucas rover fob, did one yesterday tho told the trade customer don't normally repair these as I like to just do new, as remote is the immo, if it goes down car won't run and I don't want that on Boxing Day but anyway told him this and he was happy so new case and buttons didn't touch the battery as I'm very careful with soldering and after didn't work on vehicle but was giving a good signal, ad100 out and reprogrammed and sorted.

I would say be careful and watch out for them customers trying to have you over or make sure you have a exit plan.

Regards Antony